Deploying USM comes down to learning how to apply USM.
First, understand what USM is...
USM is a method, which means it is a knowledge product. USM's added value is, therefore, understanding the goal of USM: improving sustainable service delivery. With USM, you learn how to achieve that goal, in a methodical way.
The deployment of USM is, therefore, learning how to become a sustainable service provider, with services that are aligned to your customer's interests, in a methodical way. And that is an organizational improvement project. So USM supports your organizational change into a sustainable service provider.
In the last three decades, we have mainly followed a practice-based approach, with frameworks of best practices as our guidance. But we are still facing the very same problems we had thirty years ago.
That is where Einstein's famous words come in: "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
Learning how to apply USM, therefore, first of all requires new thinking. It must be principle-based instead of practice-based, to deliver a sustainable approach. And that introduces the method that USM is.
Then start your USM journey...
Deploying USM is based on a step-by-step approach: it takes time to get away from the old thinking that we've followed for so long. So please take your time to overthink this. You may want to follow a project-based approach to deploy USM, so a decent preparation is in place. The shop will stay open during the reconfiguration of your service delivery, so you'll need small steps. That's why deploying USM is based on small incremental steps: an agile approach, with small improvement sprints.
And then support your USM deployment...
USM is so simple that everyone can do it on their own. And if you do need external resources, they should be available, and they should be trusted.
The SURVUZ Foundation supports USM deployments in various ways:
- User organizations that embrace USM as their strategic improvement approach towards sustainable service delivery, can get a free user toolkit, with details about the USM process model, the USM workflow templates, user interaction templates, schedules, graphics, and a growing number of practical guidelines. On one condition: you are willing to share your experiences with other USM users.
- Coaches that want to use USM as their new way of supporting their customers as a coach, focusing on the creation of value, can get a free toolkit of USM Resources for USM deployments. This toolkit covers a detailed USM deployment plan, a USM roadmap, and a wide range of tools and templates to support the USM deployment. On one condition: they first demonstrate their capability to work with USM and to explain USM to their customers. Consultants cannot buy the toolkit: they can only get it (for free). Read "Deploying USM with a USM Coach" to learn more about the additional resources they can bring to the deployment project.
- Training organizations that want to deliver USM training as part of the organizational change project, are also supported with free training products. On one condition: their trainers have demonstrated that they understand USM and can explain USM to others.
- Tool suppliers that want to offer products that support the use of the standardized USM management system are also supported. Their product will be recommended to USM users, so the users can choose from a range of suitable products, preferably predefined versions of these tools. On one condition: the supplier must demonstrate that the product is compatible with the simplicity and structure of the USM management system.
- Other product suppliers, like game providers, examiners, or publishers, are also supported on the same condition: they must first demonstrate their compatibility with USM.
This way, the SURVUZ Foundation makes sure that there is a wide range of trusted USM resources available for all user organizations that want to become sustainable service providers.